Earlier today (Sat. April 20, 2019) UFC St. Petersburg went down from the Yubileyny Sports Palace in St. Petersburg, Russia. In the main event of the night, Alistair Overeem and Aleksei Oleinik met in a heavyweight contest.
Overeem and Oleinik are two of the most experienced heavyweights in mixed martial arts (MMA) history. Between the pair, they have over 130 career MMA fights. Now, the former training partners found themselves matched-up in Russia. Then, in the co-main event of the night, Islam Makhachev and Arman Tsarukyan met at 155 pounds.
Check out MMA News’ UFC St. Petersburg results below:
- Heavyweight: Alistair Overeem vs. Aleksei Oleinik
Oleinik pulls guard right away. He immediately goes for the Ezekiel choke but can’t lock it in. As Oleinik gets to his feet Overeem throws up a high kick. Overeem lands a knee and Oleinik lands a pair of overhands that stun “The Reem.” A big knee lands for Overeem as Oleinik comes inside, but Oleinik powers on the shots on Overeem against the cage.
Overeem continues to drive in knees on Oleinik, who is hanging his head low. Oleinik continues his pressure with striking against the cage. A huge knee lands for Overeem but Oleinik continues to fight back. Oleinik continues to look for the Ezekiel choke from a standing position. Overeem breaks free with a switch knee. Oleinik continues to pressure with shots against the cage.
Overeem continues to drill Oleinik with knees, and Oleinik finally drops to the canvas and turns to his back. Big ground-and-pound form Overeem, and that’s it.
Official Result: Alistair Overeem def. Aleksei Oleinik via R1 TKO (punches, 4:45)
- Lightweight: Islam Makhachev def. Arman Tsarukyan via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Heavyweight: Sergei Pavlovich def. Marcelo Golm via R1 KO (punch, 1:06)
Light heavyweight: Devin Clark vs. Ivan Shtyrkov
- Women’s flyweight: Roxanne Modafferi def. Antonina Shevchenko via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Middleweight: Krzysztof Jotko def. Alen Amedovski via unanimous decision (30-25, 30-26, 30-26)
- Featherweight: Movsar Evloev def. Seung Woo Choi via unanimous decision (29-27, 29-27, 29-26)
- Welterweight: Sultan Aliev def. Keita Nakamura via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Lightweight: Alexander Yakovlev def. Alex Da Silva via R2 submission (modified anaconda choke, 3:10)
- Heavyweight: Shamil Abdurakhimov def. Marcin Tybura via R2 TKO (punches, 3:15)
- Light heavyweight: Michal Oleksiejczuk def. Gadzhimurad Antigulov via R1 KO (punches, 0:44)
- Lightweight: Magomed Mustafaev def. Rafael Fiziev via R1 TKO (spinning back kick and punches, 1:26)
**Keep refreshing for live results**