UFC Vancouver went down tonight (Sat. September 14, 2019) from the Rogers Arena in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. The world’s leading mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion compiled an excellent card for fight fans to enjoy.
It was headlined by a meeting between a lightweight clash between Donald Cerrone and Justin Gaethje. Glover Teixeira vs. Nikita Krylov in a light heavyweight bout served as the co-headliner.
Donald Cerrone vs. Justin Gaethje
The fight didn’t last long as it was over in just the first few minutes in the first round. The finish saw Gaethje land a couple of huge hooks that dropped Cerrone where he finished it up with strikes.
Glover Teixeira vs. Nikita Krylov
Teixeira controlled the first round with his grappling and even came close to winning the fight by strikes and/or submission via rear-naked choke. However, Krylov showed off his toughness and even teased a submission finish of his own. As the fight went on, the former title contender started to show off his presents despite having a nasty cut on his forehead. The former title contender was moving forward as he was getting frustrated. Krylov scored a late second round takedown. In the end, the judges gave the win to Teixeira by split decision.
Todd Duffee vs. Jeff Hughes
It wasn’t how many fight fans expected. After Duffee hurt him several times in the fight, while in the clinch, Hughes poked him in the eye and Duffee told the referee that he couldn’t continue. As a result, it was ruled a no contest.
Michel Pereira vs. Tristan Connelly
It was a wild fight that saw the first round feature Pereira do some crazy spots including back flips, cartwheels, and more in order to connect with a kick. In fact, he was so tired that he went to the wrong corner even though his opponent was sitting down on the stool. Connelly had his moments with grappling. In the second round, Connelly stunned him a few times. For a good chunk of the fight, Connelly took over and was dominant. The judges agreed and gave him the decision win.
Antonio Carlos Junior vs. Uriah Hall
Junior and Hall put on a decent fight that had moments where it could’ve been stopped. Junior took him down in the first round where he teased a rear-naked choke but Hall got out of it. In the second round, Hall nearly finished him after dropping Junior but somehow Junior survived. Junior dominated the third round while being on his back and looking for a rear-naked choke. In the end, the judges gave the win to Hall by split decision.
Misha Cirkunov vs. Jim Crute
it was one of the more entertaining bouts of the night that had some fun exchanges not only in grappling positions but also striking on the ground. In the end, Cirkunov was able to lock in the Peruvian necktie for the win in the first round.
Quick UFC Vancouver Results
Main Card (ESPN+, 8 pm ET)
- Lightweight bout: Justin Gaethje def. Donald Cerrone by TKO (punches) at 4:18 of Round 1
- Light heavyweight bout: Glover Teixeira def. Nikita Krylov via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Heavyweight bout: Todd Duffee vs. Jeff Hughes ends in a no contest due to an accidental eye poker at 4:03 of Round 1
- Welterweight bout: Tristan Connelly def. Michel Pereira by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-27, 29-27)
- Middleweight bout: Uriah Hall def. Antonio Carlos Junior by split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Light heavyweight bout: Misha Cirkunov def. Jimmy Crute by submission (Peruvian necktie) at 3:38 of Round 1
Preliminary Card (ESPN+, 5 pm ET)
- Heavyweight bout: Augusto Sakai def. Marcin Tybura by KO (punches) at :59 of Round 1
- Bantamweight bout: Miles Johns def. Cole Smith by split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28
- Bantamweight bout: Hunter Azure def. Brad Katona by unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 29-28)
- Featherweight bout: Chas Skelly def. Jordan Griffin by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Bantamweight bout: Louis Smolka def. Ryan MacDonald by TKO (punches) at 4:43 of Round 1
- Featherweight bout: Austin Hubbard def. Kyle Prepolec via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)