UFC Washington went down tonight (Sat. December 7th, 2019) from the Capital One Arena in Washington, D.C. The world’s leading mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion compiled an excellent card for fight fans to enjoy.
It’s headlined by a meeting between Alistair Overeem and Jairzinho Rozenstruik in a heavyweight show. Walt Harris was scheduled to collide with Overeem in the main event of UFC Washington but had to pull out of the fight. Marina Rodriguez vs. Cynthia Calvillo in a women’s strawweight showdown served as the co-main event.
Rounding out the six bout main card was Stefan Struve vs. Ben Rothwell in a heavyweight bout, Aspen Ladd vs. Yana Kunitskaya in a women’s bantamweight bout, Cody Stamann vs. Song Yadong in a bantamweight bout, and Rob Font vs. Ricky Simon in a bantamweight bout.
Alistair Overeem vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik
The only highlight of the first round saw Overeem take him down and keep him on his back with control and strikes. In the second round, it was a slow pace. Overeem started letting his hands go in the third round and even scored a trip takedown where he would land some shots. Fast forward to the fourth round that saw Overeem mix up his strikes from the head to the body. Rozenstruik started breathing hard and his output had slowed down. This allowed Overeem to start picking him apart. Out of nowhere at 4:56 in the final round, Rozenstruik landed a left jab then a major league right hand that ended the fight. A crazy comeback victory.
Marina Rodriguez vs. Cynthia Calvillo
Calvillo was lighting her up on the feet with strikes before scoring a takedown towards the end of the round where she landed some good shots. In the second round, Marina started to let her hands go and was landing some nice shots while Calvillo was looking to counter strike. Marina stunned her a few times with kicks and strikes to the ribs of Calvillo, who was hurt by them. In the third round, Calvillo went back to the ground game as she scored a takedown and took control. The judges scored it a majority draw.
Stefan Struve vs. Ben Rothwell
Rothwell came in and clinched right away in the first round. Moments later, Struve clipped him with a head kick that stunned him. Rothwell landed a kick to the nuts and Struve was in some serious pain as he was rolling around on the ground. The fight resumed five minutes afterwards and Rothwell landed some good clubbing shots. Struve was throwing several head kicks. In the second round, Rothwell hit another nut shot and Struve is down. A point is taken away. Rothwell stunned him but Struve fired back. Rothwell swarmed him with strikes up against the fence and the fight is done.
Aspen Ladd vs. Yana Kunitskaya
Ladd was able to score a takedown in the first round and got her back where she rained down strikes until Yana reversed it to end the round. Ladd took her down yet again and controlled the majority of the round from top position mostly in full guard with strikes. Right out of the gate in the third round, Ladd dropped her with a short left hook. Ladd swarmed her with strikes and elbows to finish the fight.
Cody Stamann vs. Song Yadong
There was a moment in round one where Yadong threw an illegal knee strike while Stamann was on the ground, which resulted in a point being taken away. In round 2, it was much more striking while Stamann scored a late-round takedown that saw him get in top position. Stamann scored a takedown in the early part of the third round but Yadong looked for a heel hook. Stamann got out of it and ended on top position and out of the attempt. Stamann got his back and rained down strikes to the round. In the end, the judges ruled it a majority draw.
Rob Font vs. Ricky Simon
Font scored an early takedown in round one but Simon was able to get back to his feet where he fired a series of strikes and a flying knee up against the fence that stunned Font. Simon ended the round with a takedown. Simon scored a takedown in the second round but Simon used an attempted guillotine choke that allowed him to get back to his feet. Simon scored a brief takedown towards the end of the round as well. Simon continued to look for takedowns but throughout the fight, both guys were throwing some good shots with Font getting the better of the exchanges. Font grabbed the unanimous decision win.
Quick UFC Washington Results
Main Card (ESPN, 9 p.m. ET)
- Heavyweight bout: Jair Rozenstruik def. Alistair Overeem by knockout (punch) at 4:56 of Round 5
- Women’s strawweight bout: Marina Rodriguez vs. Cynthia Calvillo ends in a majority draw (29-28, 28-28, 28-28)
- Heavyweight bout: Ben Rothwell def. Stefan Struve by TKO (punches) at 4:57 of Round 2
- Women’s bantamweight bout: Aspen Ladd def. Yana Kunitskaya by TKO (punches) at :33 of Round 3
- Bantamweight bout: Cody Stamann vs. Song Yadong ends in a majority draw (29-27, 28-28, 28-28)
- Bantamweight bout: Rob Font def. Ricky Simon by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
Preliminary Card (ESPN, 7 p.m. ET)
- Welterweight bout: Tim Means def. Thiago Alves by submission (guillotine choke) at 2:38 of Round 1
- Featherweight bout: Billy Quarantillo def. Jacob Kilburn by submission (triangle choke) at 3:18 of Round 2
- Featherweight bout: Bryce Mitchell def. Matt Sayles by submission (Twister) at 4:20 of Round 1
- Lightweight bout: Joe Solecki def. Matt Wiman by unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-27)
Early prelims (ESPN+, 6 p.m. ET)
- Women’s strawweight bout: Virna Jandiroba def. Mallory Martin by submission (rear-naked choke) at 1:16 of Round 2
- Middleweight bout: Makhmud Muradov def. Trevor Smith by knockout (punch) at 4:09 of Round 3